Renting Flats

Renting Flats

Renting FlatIf you wish to rent a flat, please see the following websites:

Please see some advice below on renting a room or a flat (even if you will be sharing it with your friends):


If you are paying a ‘reservation’ or ‘holding’ deposit whilst your application for a tenancy is processed, make sure you get a receipt and a Holding Deposit Agreement from the Agent that sets out the terms of this initial deposit and any circumstances under which you may or may not get your money back.


Rent is usually paid a calendar month in advance. Because of money laundering regulations most Agents are only able to accept a maximum of £500 in cash. Subsequent payments are normally made by standing order or the Agent or Landlord. If the payment of rent is late, interest is payable as shown in the Tenancy Agreement.


A deposit equivalent to approximately 6 weeks rent will normally be required to settle any claim for dilapidations, or any other breach of the tenancy agreement, which may arise, during the tenancy or at the termination of the tenancy. The deposit will be held by the Agents or the Landlord under the terms of a designated Tenancy Deposit Scheme. Make sure that you are present to check the inventory when you move in and out of the property so that you can agree to any amendments. We recommend that you keep a signed copy of both the checking in and checking out inventory. This document will form the basis of any compensations claimed against you by the landlord.


Before you arrange a date and time to sign the tenancy agreement, make sure that you (all tenants) have seen a copy and read it through, so that everyone understands their obligations. Ask questions to clarify anything that you are unclear on. All tenants must sign the tenancy agreement before they can move in.


Keep all your documents (such as insurance policy, copy of tenancy agreement and inventory) together in a file. Keep this file in a safe place


It is normally a condition of the Tenancy that the services (i.e. electricity, gas and telephone) are transferred into the Tenant’s name for the duration of the Tenancy. If you require the telephone service you will need to contact British Telecom or service provider direct. In some instances, a deposit may be requested from the relevant Companies.


Tenants will normally be responsible for the payment of the Council Tax for the property they are renting and will pay this direct to the Local Authority. They must also advise the Local Authority when they move in/out of a rented property. Leaflets on Council Tax should be available from the Registration Officer at the Hove Town Hall (opposite the school). A 25% discount is usually available on Council Tax for single occupancy. It is the responsibility of the tenant to pay for a TV License in respect of the property they are renting. In most cases water charges are now paid for by Tenants in renting a property.


Tenants must insure their own possessions, as this is not the Landlords responsibility. You can also arrange this yourself on line by going to or


Make sure that you are provided with a Landlords Gas Safety certificate and if you are renting a furnished property that the furniture has fire safety labels on it (arm chairs, beds, cushions etc) and that a note is made on the inventory to that effect. The Landlord must also make sure that electrical wiring and appliances are safe.

Please note:

The school is not responsible for the flats, apartments, hotels and guest houses listed on our site

Follow us on: