Personal Safety

Personal Safety

Personal Safety in BrightonThe police in the UK are friendly and helpful, have a duty to protect everyone and can always be safely approached. In an emergency where there is a danger to life or a crime is in progress you can contact the police, fire brigade or ambulance by dialling 999 from any telephone. This call is free of charge but should be used only in an emergency. To report a non-emergency minor crime, call local police station on 101

  • Take care of your belongings, especially documents like passport, travel documents and tickets.
  • Insure your belongings against theft and accidental damage. Please visit The British Insurance Brokers’ Association at for more information. If you wish to take insurance specifically designed for students please visit
  • Remember that although Brighton is a safe city there are a very small number of dangerous people here. Please be sensible when you are walking in the streets late at night, especially if you have been drinking alcohol. Try not to walk home alone and keep to well-lit areas especially if you are female.
  • In the UK, if somebody shouts at you, especially if they insult you, it is always best to walk away. Do not confront them and do not run away.

The British council have produced a new online safety guide for international students. The guide gives lots of practical advice on staying safe in the UK. Please visit

For a copy of this guide, please ask at the reception.

Also please visit  for more information on road safety.

Racial and Sexual Discrimination and Harassment

There are students from many countries, cultures and religions in our school, and we hope that they all act in a friendly and polite way with each other. If another student, a member of your host family, or a member of staff treats you badly, please tell a member of the school management (Steve, Adela, Gosia or Jeff) as soon as you can. If this person treats you badly because of your skin colour, nationality, sex or religion, he or she is breaking the law and we may call the police.

Also, if another student, a member of your host family, or a member of staff touches you or talks to you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable, they may be breaking the law, so please tell us.

Please remember that these rules are the same for everyone, so please treat other people in the school and your accommodation the way you want them to treat you.

Any student who physically assaults, or racially or sexually harasses or abuses any other person on school premises, or any member of the student body or staff anywhere will be immediately and permanently excluded from the school.


In the UK you don’t have to carry ID with you, but it can be very useful. You must be 18 years old to buy cigarettes or alcohol, and to go into most pubs and clubs. If you look younger than 25, you must show ID to prove that you are over 18 (this must be a passport, police registration or International Student Card).


It is against the law to buy, sell or use drugs in the UK. Please don’t do it.

Follow us on: